References available upon request.
- Internship, Syracuse University Bird Library
I created metadata records (over 1,000 added from my own contributions alone) for dissertations of past PhD candidates of SU to help populate SURFACE (the Syracuse University Research Facility And Collaborative Environment). I also edited MARC records for songs from the Belfer Archive (adding subject headings, primarily, but also revising 100, 700, and 710 fields for completeness) and creating records in a project file in ContentDM.
- Internship, Northern Onondaga Public Library
My primary project here was the implementation of the 23 Things for NOPL. I created the lesson plan, wrote the content to the website, and assisted staff with the learning modules. I also rotated between a number of library positions for experience, including reference.
- Faculty Assistant, Syracuse University
I worked as an assistant to Jill Hurst-Wahl, primarily doing research to various ends: finding articles for students to read in class, content to be used in future book publications. I also assisted with reformatting and editing content from a class wiki to be suitable for public access.
- Independent Contractor for the Historic Sites division of Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
I was largely self-directed for this “internship.” (I was officially on the payroll as an independent contractor due to statewide budget cutbacks eliminating the internship program. I had this loophole applied to me on strong recommendations from my previous boss.) My initial and primary duty was to bring order to a cabinet in the archives filled with photos, slides, negatives, etc. relating to the maintenance of several sites, which were in no particular order and many were not even identified. After everything identifiable was together (which meant some close scrutiny when trying to pair up negatives or slides to photos), I created a database in Microsoft Access to record what was there and also what had been digitized.
I also digitized some historic letters. I proofed a digitization of a thick binder of documents, and I organized the department’s collection of photocopies of NARA records for improved access. I also digitized some miscellaneous negatives and did some minor photo corrections for color and contrast.
I spent a week in Marfa, TX, to assist with deed research at the courthouse and ended up creating a spreadsheet set of all the potentially-relevant deeds to streamline the process, both by eliminating duplication and by grouping all the deeds stored in the same record volumes together. The record room was very small, and the volumes are rather big and awkward, especially if you couldn’t release the metal bindings for easier photocopying, so it was an improvement to be able to work from the same volume all at once and then be completely finished with it.
- Assistant Archivist (internship), Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
I worked in the archives of the Infrastructure division, but my duties were more in the realm of records management. Here I divided my time between digitizing architectural plans and maintaining a database for them and documenting the backlog of project files at the document level for off-site storage, in accordance with the state regulations for document retention.
- Worked in circulation for a joint library (public library + community college academic library)
- Inducted into the Beta-Alpha chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, a history honor society, spring 2008
- Recipient of the Fay and Robert Taylor Scholarship at Syracuse University
- Member of Golden Key International Honor Society
- American Libraries Association
- Texas Library Association
Metadata schemas & standards used: Dublin Core, MODS, MARCXML, METS, CDWA, VRA, LOM, GEM, EAD
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint); Microsoft Access; Adobe Photoshop; Oxygen XML Editor; MS Sharepoint; ContentDM
- Houston Public Library, digitization : [ongoing] Provide metadata/descriptions for various digitized media, such as news reel footage and photographs, pertaining to local history.
- Lone Star College, Cy-Fair : [May-July 2012] Provided assistance with circulation functions.